Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Camp: Week 2

Character building week to the max.

Nothing like having seven non-Adventist girls in your cabin that have no respect for anything or anyone added a whole new level to my counseling experience. By the first day I was dying...by the second day, I was ready to give up being a counselor forever, thankfully the third day was a day off, and after that, I just kept looking forward to Sunday. Not that they were horrible girls, but just completely disrespectful and obviously not well-disciplined at home. I found myself looking back at the challenging week before and thinking that was a breeze compared to these girls.

Thankfully the one Adventist girl helped me keep my sanity and she was a sweetie. It's amazing the difference I could tell in her language, education, and manners. I felt bad that she was influenced by the others, but hopefully the influence I had on her was stronger. Every single day was a challenge. First of all, it rained....and rained...and rained...pretty much every day, all day!

For nearly every activity, I had girls, one or the other, or all saying they weren't going to do something. I had to be very firm and positive about it all, and in the end, I won out :) Every girl, did or at least tried every activity...and surprise of surprises.... had FUN at it too :P

When it came to the canoe trip I was ready for the girls to paddle for two and a half hours. While the other counselors and staff were not to excited about canoeing in the rain, I was definitely ready for it. I needed something to drain them of their energy, and the canoe trip would do just that. The canoe trip ended up being a lot of fun for me at least! I loved it! It was pouring down rain, a little thunder, a leech, and it wasn't too cold. Best of all, the girls were exhausted by the end :)

The rest of week flew by quickly, but I was ready for a new cabin of girls. Crossed my fingers and hoped God would be merciful to give me an easier cabin for the next week!

Oh, and the highlight of the week? i was the bandaid lady....I hardly ever was far from bandaids. There was a seemingly unlimited number of scratches, bug bites, cuts, scrapes, and anything else that could bleed from all the girls! I think theres's starting to be a trend in my cabin....hmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment